Friday, December 12, 2008

What has happened and What is going on...

It's almost two months. I thought I won't be blogging anytime soon (which means that I have nothing bothering me...), but then again...lots of things are clogging my brain until I could hardly breathe, at times. Here's a short update on what has happened and what is going on.

What has happened

November - I took a week's break and went on holiday with my family. We went to HK, Macau and certain areas of Guangdong Province in China. Everything was great, especially the part when I totally forgot what day and date it was while touring around those places.

I attended two job interviews, so far. Hopefully, there's more coming. I know economy is bad but please see below for further understanding.


What is going on

Current job - it sucks. I know I am complaining again. Initially, I thought there's something wrong with me since I keep complaining about my job. I thought it could be some kinda attitude problem or phobia with the work place....but I was wrong. Everyone is complaining about it. Everything you can think of about the company is wrong. See below for the list of wrong things!

No SOP - if A is reviewing the report, follow A's style. If B is reviewing the report, follow B's style. If Bodoh is reviewing your report, follow Bodoh's style. And each report has to go through 3 rounds of reviews by 3 different reviewers, which mean that I MUST change my report for at least 3 times before a report is sent to the client. Stupid right? NO standardization at all. Next time who to follow?? I will follow my own style. -.-

No OT claims BUT they want you to do everything in a short period of time (Pao Sua Pao Hai Pao Ka Liao). Sometimes, we even need to bring work back to do, but they say... "you have no initiative. You must work harder".... HOW? Do until die?

No quarterly bonus. I understand that the current economy situation is bad...but the bonus that I'm talking about is on a quarterly basis. When they hired me and my other colleagues, they have promised us on the quarterly bonus - but there's none at all. Even for the past quarter when we actually HAD lots of business and they had promised us that there WILL BE bonus but in the end, the management just gave us a stupid excuse. "We actually don't know whether there will be bonus or not" Top management but can't give a certain answer? Mana bonus?

Punctuality. If I'm late for an hour or so, I can understand if the management were to ask for explanation. But, they will always ask at the wrong time. "I noticed that you were late for 2 minutes on 5th, please explain" TWO minutes....

Communication. To be honest, each time when I enter the office, it feels like entering a cemetery while the other zombies and robots who are glued to the screen are tombstones. They hardly move. They don't talk. We are not allowed to talk. We can only communicate via Skype. And when I really talk to my colleague, I must whisper. If the management see me walking to my colleague's place, it means that I have no tasks to do and I am very free. That has resulted in yours truly becoming very talkative once I leave office. I talk non-stop when the bf calls. I can't stop talking the moment I enter my house. I never stop talking each time I go out for lunch.

Leave system. The definition of leave is one is away from office to tend to his or her personal matters. And that obviously shows that the person is unable to complete her task on that day itself. Unfortunately, the company (or maybe just the manager) has problem in understanding the term "leave". When I was on leave for a week in November, that fcuker had allocated a case (means I will need to do a report for that case) to me. Each case normally has a turn around time of 2 weeks but the due date of the case was a day after I come back from my vacation. Isn't that stupid? How can I complete the whole big report (research, analysis and compilation) in just two days' time when I actually need at least 2 weeks to do? Now that shows you one thing. There is no relevance in applying leave. Afterall, I will still be getting work. Why still need to apply leave?

Discrimination. The company prefers people of darker skin, particularly those with something sticking out from the groin area. They don't like and will discriminate people with "holes" and also those of fairer skin. If you're a lady and you have fair skin, sorry but the management (particularly the VP) won't listen or talk to you. Move aside.

Career progression. No chance at all coz after this level, you can never go anywhere. You are stuck at where you are forever, so long as you are still attached to the company.

Turnover rate. Very high. That tells you why I am actively searching for a job elsewhere even though deep down in my heart, I knew that it's going to be difficult due to the economy crisis.
There are more things to talk about the company....but right at this moment, I could really feel my blood pressure rising. I'll keep you posted on other things about this company coz innocent fresh graduates should NOT be fooled by such company. I entered the company with job experience...but it feels like everything (my job experience, educational background, other skills, etc) is put to waste!

Job applications - My previous and current job have really given me a wake-up call to my future. I thought it over and over again and I am still thinking. Which is the right one? Choose the type of jobs in the industry you're interested in OR any type of jobs that can feed you at the end of the month (even though you may not have the interest)? Even though the question is vital, I guess I'm not given the luxury to choose also since the economy is going downwards. Previously, I got scared of the industry I was in and thought I won't be going back to it. But now, it's ironic. I actually feel and want to be back to where I actually belong. Will there be a chance? Times are bad but I am not giving up!

Thoughts of the future - I was on Facebook a moment ago. I saw a few familiar names on the People You May Know function. Again, I saw ex-schoolmates (some not so close) who are doing well in their career. Some in other countries. People have gone so far and achieved so much, what have I done to myself thus far?? I know I have mentioned this umpteen times and I know I shouldn't be comparing but I can't help thinking, why people can do it and I can't? (Of coz the comparison cannot be based on the fact that they were born with a silver spoon in the mouth and I'm just a very normal average one....but, that could be the factor...)

The New Year (2009) - This year is coming to an end. I haven't done anything much this year. But, I have lots of things set as my resolution for the new year. I am determined to achieve them. I want them to happen and will make sure things go that way! Watch this space!

No comments: