Sunday, January 21, 2007

Of mothers and excessive worries

There's something I don't understand about mothers. They could get overprotective of their own kids, especially if the child is a girl. Yes, I'm referring to Mum. She hardly says no to anything Bro says or plans to do. Oh no, before you start assuming, I'm not being jealous. Neither am I complaining.

It's just that, each time when I tell Mum something I want to do, or rather my plans, she would give me that kind of look and thousands of lame excuses would come next. That's what she does all the time. I know she's being very caring and is just protecting me (ahem* only daughter lah!), but I seriously hate her negative thoughts. Her fears of all the possible bad things that might just happen if I were to proceed with my plans. Gahhh...

She knows I have plans of going "there" to work this year, which might be after my industrial training or maybe next year, but she's still giving me that kind of feedback I don't want to hear. It's not that I'm being naughty or committing any crime, I just believe that life is short, and I'm still young but it's time to leave the nest to explore, learn, grow and depend on myself. I reckon it's just not right for her to protect me in such a way. I mean, how long can she be the armor to shield and prevent me from seeing or even experiencing the harsh realities of life?

I thought Mum was the only one who worries too much about her kids but when Mrs Ong came over to complain about the same issue, I realised there's a clear linkage between mothers and worries. I know Mum has always been supportive of anything I do (erm, except a few things!) albeit with perpetual negative facial expressions, but the main problem is, she worries too much. (I probably got this trait from her cos I'm a worry wart too! Haha) I guess I will never understand her over exaggerating reactions and excessive worries...not until I become somebody's mother one day.


No comments: