Monday, July 02, 2007

Working in a male dominated industry....

....can be cool and also scary at the same time!

The other day, one of the big structures (for a machine) was found with non-conforming dimensions (or in layman's term, measurements). As it was already 85% completed and each structure costs about RM70k, everyone rushed to the production floor to check on it. I was there with my senior, and also many other engineers.

Within split seconds, all the guys climbed up a 5 meter machine to check on that structure. Luckily, I wore pants on that day. So I joined what the others did and I realized something at that time.

"Gosh! Am I the only lady involved in this project?"

I could sense a strong smell of gender discrimination when the other older engineers showed some kind of facial expression that made yours truly uncomfortable. They probably need more time to accept a lady in their team.

Other than that, working in a male dominated industry can be quite cool. Wanna know why? Haha. I'm obviously enjoying and getting a much deserved attention from the younger engineers. I only deal with some of them (as we're in the same team, handling similar projects) but I got to know many other engineers from another plant through some of my colleagues. That helps a lot as it makes my journey at work much smoother.

So, here are some of the obvious pros and cons of working in a male dominated industry.

Pros:
- You get to see and know LOTS of guys.
- You get to learn things from the guys, especially the more experienced ones.
- You get LOTS of attention from your male counterparts. Hehehe.

Cons:
- You need more time to convince the older or experienced ones that you're capable of doing something.
- You feel very "small" at times, as you're often surrounded by guys, big machines, and lots of heavy structures, jigs and fixtures!
- You have to fight against people's general perception that girls are "soft" and "useless"...especially in a working environment like mine.

4 comments:

vincent said...

I like this one.

As an engineer, especially one that deals a lot with technicians and labourers, I agree that there is gender discrimination in the industry.

But it exists for a good reason. Too many female engineers around do not like going on site. Too many of them are reluctant to get their hands dirty. Too many refuse to climb high structures.

I have a piece of advice. You need to do as they do to fit in. You said you were lucky that you were wearing pants that day. That is how it should be. Female site engineers should never wear skirts because they never know when they need to climb somewhere and stuff.

But trust me on this. When you show that you are willing to get your hands dirty like one of the guys, the discrimination against you will pretty much vanish when you prove them wrong.

~Tiramisu~ said...

Hey Vincent,
Thanks for your advice. I don't mind getting my hands dirty or follow what the other engineers do. The problem is, I'm NOT an engineer. Hehe...but I have some engineering background though.

Anyways, I have a long journey ahead of me as I believe I still have LOTS of things to learn other than climbing huge structures. :)

Observer said...

Oh man...I a guy trapped in one dominated by males.. I WANT FEMALES colleagues !!!

~Tiramisu~ said...

Freethinker,
Hahaha. How much is your company paying me? I'll go over and work at your place! Kekeke...