Thursday, July 27, 2006

Indecisive obsession

After so many days, I'm still so bloody obsessed with the industrial training thingy. In fact, I'm still very surprised with the whole idea of local undergraduates from public universities doing their training abroad. All the while, I've been ignorant about this and now, after knowing it, I suddenly became so proud of my Uni! Bleh.

The other day, when I was in the HOD's office, I enquired about the "training abroad" program. I was skeptical that the companies from other countries would recognize us. They might not even have the slightest clue that my Uni exists! So, I asked, "Which country can we go to for the training abroad program?"

"Anywhere...just as long as it's a developed country, preferably an English speaking country" the HOD answered with a smile.

"What? You mean our Uni is actually recognized in other countries? They know we exist?? I overreacted.

"Yes. There are many established companies from other developed countries who are willing to accept students from our Uni. The problem is, not many students are willing to go there. Some dare not even try as they're not academically qualified or are afraid of leaving our country." He explained.

And that was it. My exaggerating reaction is still very fresh in mind now. I'm still thinking about the whole thing. Looks like this obsession will be accompanying me till the day I start my industrial training, which is a good sign. It'll be a catalyst to push me forward to do anything relevant to get what I've always wanted. Brilliant idea!

Anyway, I did a lot of self-discovery and self-reflection for the past few days. There were so many things in mind that I rarely had the time to think of anything else that appeared less important. I told my family about this whole thing yesterday night and I'm kind of surprised with mum's reactions. I'm very happy with what she said!

She agreed with the "training abroad" program! She even said that if UK's the destination, then I should grab the chance. Maybe she recalled that she missed her opportunity to further studies in UK last time and now, she's really encouraging her own daughter to go after it. Oh I'm so touched. *sobs* As for dad, just as I've expected, he just kept quiet and didn't say anything much. That's not a good sign actually. I know he would always support me in anything I do but I'm sure he's sad that his little girl is leaving the nest soon. Bro didn't comment much either but he advised that I should choose a nearer location, which is much more logical and realistic. He added that I could always fulfill my dreams next time...

So, my family's reactions made me think further. This is really a big conflict in the brain, where I need to make a difficult decision. It's between fulfilling my dreams and thinking logically. UK or Singapore? Or somewhere else, like US, Canada or Australia? Damn. Besides getting the headaches of which to choose, there's another bad attitude in me. It's actually a plus point too if you see it from another angle. There's this thing in me that, no matter what I do, once I start, I must make sure I get it. If not, I might as well don't do it at all. It's as simple as ...whatever I do, I make sure I try to get the best out of it. So, it's actually a bad thing to me. I desperately want to qualify and be chosen for this "training abroad" program...but will it really happen?

I'm just afraid that too much of hope could sometimes bring disaster...but guess I'm ready for the upcoming challenges. No matter what happens, I still have back-up plans to support. *prays that everything goes on smoothly*


No comments: