Sunday, June 10, 2007

After three weeks...

The best thing that could happen to a student after leaving Uni is to meet back with some (or most) of her closer friends / course mates for a simple gathering.

It was a much anticipated day when all the eight of us, four guys and four girls (Another six couldn't make it as they are currently based in Alor Star, Taiping, Pahang and Malacca) met up at Bukit Mertajam yesterday (Don't ask me why they chose this place). We toured around the whole place from about 3pm till 12 midnight and during that period of time, we went to five different locations to eat! Other than hawker food, we went to Tambun for seafood. After that, the next stop was Auto-City. We went to SOHO for a drink, explored the area where a car carnival was held and moved on to Old Town to bitch about our stories.

The different types of food we had were just "so-so", but the gathering was not so much about the food. The greatest part about the get-together was we managed to gather eight people from different places together. We reminisced a bit on what we did previously at Uni, followed by lots of complaints regarding our workplaces. Each of us had our own story to share. There was a question frequently heard throughout our simple gathering. "How did you spend your time during your first week of work?"

"I wish I could find a guy now and get married tomorrow so that I don't need to work at this stupid place anymore"
LF complained. She was obviously facing a lot of stress and difficulties at work.

Our group has always been the sarcastic, loud and noisy type back at Uni, not to mention the free flow of vulgar words. But after started working, we have to get used to a lower voice tone and must talk politely at office. So after keeping everything in ourselves for three weeks, we exploded SOHO and Old Town with loud voices and laughter. The other patrons thought we were uneducated grown ups with attitude problems. Hehe.

"Wahh...it's so nice to be able to talk loudly and laugh as much as I want again" said J who currently works at a super huge MNC.

"You mean you can't talk or even laugh in the office?"
I asked.

"No. Nobody talks there. My office is so fcuked. If I want to talk to the person next to my cubicle, I have to message him by using messenger" J complained.

The rest of them complained about other funny office cultures at their workplaces. I had my own story to share too, but not so much of a complaint. I thought to myself that I should consider myself lucky to be able to "breathe" and do other things comfortably at work without feeling the pressure from weird office cultures.

As we laughed and talked, time flies and it was time to say our goodbyes. When we were still studying, we didn't appreciate those moments spent together but now that we're outside working, the feeling is really different. We discussed on a few future gathering plans before we left to go home. I'm definitely looking forward to the next meet up.


6 comments:

fishtail said...

It's always nice to have mini reunions like what you just described. Also serves as a lifeline for those not doing so well (including emotionally). Keep it up.

Observer said...

Haahha.... next to msg next to cubicle...sad..

First 3 weeks..I did nuts, all I did was read read read.... 4th week still reading.. 5th week started playing games...HAHAHA

It was when my supervisor quit and I had to assume her position, I got shit pile of work...

~Tiramisu~ said...

Fishtail,
I agree. I hope I could keep it going for as long as possible.

Freethinker,
Wow! Your company has so many things for u to read huh? Haha. So I assume u would still be reading even until now if your supervisor didn't quit? :P

Observer said...

Well, not much, just 1, 2, 3, 4 books...hahhaa...programming stuff...

I started doing lil bit this and that.... it's when she left, I need to master all the stuff myself...

I must say, given the lack of "good transition" before she left, I am doing a pretty darn good job at handling it now...in my fingertips...hahahha

~Tiramisu~ said...

Freethinker,
"...I am doing a pretty darn good job at handling it now...in my fingertips...hahahha"

Woii...self-praising huh? HAha...so perasan case! ;P

Observer said...

AHHAHA