Saturday, September 09, 2006

A bright and inspiring day

It was 5 in the morning, on 9th August, a few years ago. I was very excited even though I wasn’t the main star of the day. Everyone at home woke up early, dressed smartly and looked forward to the grand occasion. It was our family’s first big event, and my parents and I were obviously very proud of it. Bro was just cool and calm.

“Nothing big deal…it’s just a normal day” he said but he certainly looked stunning in that big “coat”.

We left home at about 6am, but we were shocked to see a big crowd of peeps who reached there earlier than us. Bro really looked great even though his big “coat” made him looked a bit like a professor or anyone similar. While waiting for Bro to enter the main hall, I saw many others who donned the same robe. Everyone was in a cheerful mood, with their hands full with bouquets of flowers and gifts. The grand event itself was truly an eye-opener to me, as I was merely in my teens, still schooling. I felt some kind of weird feeling. I could feel the people’s happiness there and that made me congratulate a few nearby strangers. Hehe. I was an insane teenager…or was that just a lame trick to strike a conversation with cool and smart looking guys? *Grins*

“You’re not allowed to enter the hall. I can only bring in two guests, so mum and dad are going in with me,” Bro said it when I desperately wanted to enter the extremely large hall, which is full of “smart” people.

So they went in, and I was left alone. After some time, I received a call from my cheemui and she said she’s somewhere near the food stalls. I had earlier invited her to join me on that big day and she came! *Oh, that was very sweet of her!* Anyway, we went to tour around the big place, from building to building, and saw many different faces. After some time, I heard an announcement.

“The event is going to start within minutes. Family members and friends are invited to watch the “live” ceremony at Lecture Halls F, G, H and I”. I went into Lecture Hall G (If I’m not mistaken), sat there with my cheemui and some snacks we bought from the outside food stalls. After a while, the grand event started. Everyone in the lecture hall was amazed with the number of peeps in the main hall.

After some 30 minutes or so, I saw Bro on the big screen! OMG! He looked so yau-yeng on screen! Haha. Kitaro’s Reimei could be heard clearly when Bro walked up the stage, alone, to receive his scroll from an old wise man who looked like Dr. Sun Yat Sen with a “penguin suit”. The song sounded like as if everyone there who donned the robe in the large hall had fought a long way, battling the “war” and challenges and putting in lots of effort just to be awarded the scroll of honour on that fateful day. The whole scene of Bro being the centre of attention, with more than five thousand pairs of eyes glued at him only lasted three minutes, or the most five but I was truly amazed with it. I was so proud of him that I became teary-eyed. (Erm, that was a tad exaggerating…maybe, yours truly was just too emo at that time. Heh!)

From that moment, I kept the scene in the brain, and vowed to enter a university (not any colleges out there!), to go through the same big event Bro experienced, to wear the big robe and mortarboard, and to make my parents proud again. Nobody understood why I felt that way. Neither did I (at the beginning) but I knew it later on and reckoned that it wasn’t a bad thing. Until today, I’m glad that the inspiring scene is still very fresh in mind and it has so far stimulated me to do what I’m supposed to do. And, one thing for sure is that my turn would come, very soon. I’m definitely looking forward to it. It could be just an ordinary day to anyone, but to me, it’s a special day that brings feelings of accomplishment and derives enormous satisfaction when my folks glow with pride.

Anyway, I’d like to congratulate some of my friends who have recently graduated. Wait for me…I’m next! Hehe. And thanks Bro, you’ve always been an inspiring figure even though your gila-gila character sometimes drives me nuts! =)


*Listening to Reimei, by Kitaro*

***I just attended my close friend’s convocation ceremony a few hours ago and OH MY GOD!!! The excitement was really killing me! Even though it’s not my graduation, I could feel the intense excitement as though I was the one graduating! Gahhh….First, I saw a family friend’s daughter in her graduation robe. So, I told myself I want to wear it too. Then, it was Bro’s turn. I vowed to wear the robe no matter how. After that, I got envious when I saw seniors wearing the “big coat” when I was still in Sem 1 and Sem 3. I kept asking, “When is my turn?”

Now, it’s my close friend’s turn!!! And what about me? I’M NEXT!! Woohooo…Before I knew it, the time would come really soon and I’ll be posting my graduation pics all over this blog! Hahahaha…Oh I can’t wait anymore!! *thinks… “what am I going to wear on that day?”, “what about shoes and hairstyle?”, “what type of flower would I be getting?”, “will tears of joy flow freely?”, “I’m going to miss my friends!!!”, etc.*

Gosh! I’ve gone crazy again. I’m off! Ciao. *Logs off while still smiling to herself*



My two close friends in Uni. *Sobs* I'm going to miss her!!


No comments: