Saturday, September 02, 2006

Never shit at the place you eat!

That’s a very famous saying which is usually applicable at the workplace but now, I’m reminding you that it’s also applicable in other places, like where you study.

Ever came across any colleague or course mate who treated you in a “different” way? I’m sure you understand what I’m implying here but I would like to remind you…It is not appropriate to build any kind of “extra” relationship with those peeps because it is just similar to the case of putting piles of shit on your bowl of rice!

Before you land your ass in hot soup, you better think twice before you even start to dream of it. Recently (In fact, it’s been months…since early this year but I ignore it), I detected a course mate treating me differently. I thought he was merely extra-friendly, but no…that fella did quite many things to qualify himself into my radar.

I’m not bragging about this but it is really bad news. It’s true that we girls love the feelings of being chased after, the additional attention and all that, but this is definitely a different case. I’m sure you wouldn’t want to give the poor friend a wrong signal, which could land him a temporary excitement. I could see that he’s a good guy, but too bad, it’s not advisable to drag a real friend into the game….well, I know that sounds a bit weird but that’s just my style. It’s a bad idea to drag a friend into the netting, then after some time, you hurt him, and that incident would put an end to the friendship. After all, this friend doesn’t qualify a few vital criteria also…so, it’s useless to even consider him…

Over the past few months, I’ve been constantly reminding myself so as not to give him the wrong signals and it’s been a very tiring task to do. Sometimes, I’ve got no choice but to regularly mention that I go back to Penang very often because of Mr.Current Date. (Which is quite true…hehe…but it sounds so wrong to me that I need to announce to him and some other friends about my reason of going back frequently. I don’t like reporting to other people about my life, remember?)

Some female friends actually think I’m stupid as I could “use” this male friend to do certain things. Even though he sometimes really willingly helps to do certain things, I don’t think it’s appropriate to “use” a friend. This is just insane. Oh come on, don’t tell me you believe I should give him empty hopes and wrong signals so that he could continue helping me to accomplish some tasks? No thanks. It sounds so cheap! I would rather depend on myself.

This friend of mine is indeed a good guy, but during one of our recent conversations, I indirectly told him that it’s impossible because I’ve always preferred an older man. I saw disappointment painted on his face but I’m glad we’re still friends. At least, the comfort stage of this friendship is not spoilt as we could really talk on anything, from work to dreams, gossips to horoscopes, love to sex, everything.

Other than this course mate, I’ve actually detected a few other friends on my radar over the years but I avoided them, and gave all sorts of funny signals just to make it clear that it was impossible. If you knew it’s not going to work, why bother to try and destroy the comfort stage between you and your friend? It’s better to prevent it from happening than to test the market. Or else, you might even lose the friendship and it would only hurt both of you. See how difficult it is to maintain friendship and how much it means to me?

I may not be a person who has a high need for affiliation but once I regard you as a friend, I really mean it. So, heed my advice and never shit at the place you eat! Don’t simply play the game with a person if you knew he couldn’t afford to play it. Otherwise, you’ll have to risk your friendship with that person, leaving your image tainted. You get the idea.

No comments: