Friday, September 22, 2006

It's Mrs. Cakap Banyak again

**Riiiiinnnnngggg Riiiinnnnnggggg**

I was still in Dreamland when the house phone rang non-stop.

*Looks at hand phone to check time...grumbles..."Which idiot calls at 8 am?" Grrr...*

"Hello?"

"Hello, Mrs. Tan? I ....bla, bla, bla....yadda, yadda, yadda..." Mrs. Cakap Banyak yakked effortlessly without knowing who she was talking to. (Bad telephone skills!)

*Blur*

"Auntie...auntie, mum has gone to work!" I stopped her from mumbling.

"Ohh...then is Mr. Tan around?" she asked.

"He has gone to work too. Is there anything important?"

"Are you sure? I'm talking about that Mr. Tan who works at company ABC at Road 123...." she asked something stupid and continued mumbling.

"Auntie. Do you think I know my father better or you know him better?"

She suddenly feels a bit stupid for having asked such a moronic question early in the morning and quickly changed topic, "Oh hehe...Ah Girl you came back from Uni? No class ar?"

Just to be polite, I entertained her pointless conversation for a couple of minutes.

"I'm back at home coz I'm having my mid-sem break now. Auntie, is there anything important that you wanted to tell my parents?"

"Oh nothing lah. I just made some cookies. So, I called to ask your mother to come over and get it."

"That's all? Okie, I'll tell her when she comes back."

"Remember to tell her yea. Remember. You must remember yea!" she kept reminding me as she probably thought my brain has a smaller capacity compared to hers.

"Ok. I call her NOW."


This is not the first time. Mrs. Cakap Banyak is a very nice lady in her early sixties but she has a peculiar habit of calling people early in the morning just because of cookies. There was once when she called on a Sunday morning just to ask which type of dish is suitable for someone suffering from constipation. Weird lady.

Besides Mrs. Cakap Banyak, mum has many other friends with funny characters. Some like to call early in the morning and some late at night. Some of them are super-irritating while most are super-friendly. Sheesh. I wonder how does mum tolerate her friends? I hope she doesn't become like that one day. If not, she'll probably adopt the style of calling me early in the morning just to ask irrelevant things like, "Girl, have you washed your panties?"


No comments: