Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Would you prefer the bones if given the chance to receive wealth???

Today is the seventh day of grandpa's death. According to the Chinese beliefs, we were supposed to follow the "Kiuk Kut" (meaning "collect/pick up" bones in Hokkien) ritual.

So, we (the whole family) went to the crematorium early in the morning to "pick" up bones and later proceeded to the columnbarium for prayers.

The man we hired to assist, plan and organise all the appriopriate rituals reminded us to say, "Kiuk Kim" (meaning "collect/receive" wealth in Hokkien). It is believed that one would be richer or at least receive something valuable from the departed one. Well, that's what the Chinese community believes. (I actually don't believe anything like this!)

When it was my turn to "collect/receive" the Kim or wealth, I forgot what I was supposed to say. I mumbled "Kiuk Kut" instead of "Kiuk Kim"! After that, I felt weird. I heard the others saying "Kim" and not "Kut".

First thing that came to mind was, "*Shit! Did I say the wrong thing?"

I told bro what I mumbled and he laughed at me. He said, "Everyone's going to get kim (wealth) while you will get the kut (bones)!!! Don't worry, I'll give you a little bit of my kim! Haha..."

I still don't believe any of these Chinese beliefs but how can that be??? Everyone's going to get their share of Kim while I've to settle for Kut???? I guess grandpa would be amused if he was really there. How could his granddaughter be so stupid to ask for the bones when given the chance to receive wealth!

*Sheesh*




No comments: