Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The First Visit

It was my final year in Primary School. As usual, I followed my friend, SI back to her house after school so that we could attend school activities together later in the evening. One day, she came out from the bathroom looking sad.

“What’s wrong?”

“I think I’m going to die…”

“What happened??”

“Some brownish red thing came out!”

“Came out from…??”

Without saying anything, SI just pointed her index finger to the lower part of her small-sized body.

“You mean, something came out from that part??? OMG!!!”

“Do you think I should tell Mummy??”

“I think you should…but what is that thing that came out??”

“Wait…I show you this” she said that as she walked into the bathroom.

Eager to know what happened to SI, I followed her into the bathroom. Looking very worried, she showed me her underwear.

“See?? It’s brownish red and I don’t know what’s that. Do you think it’s something caused by diarrhea??”

“I don’t think so. I think that’s a blood stain!”

“Blood??? *sob* I think I’m going to die!”

“Oh please don’t be silly! I think it’s the first visit from your Auntie! And you will have to wear that…”

I comforted her while pointing to a blue colored plastic bag with the word ‘Kotex’ on it.

“…but that belongs to Mummy. Do you think I should wait for her to come back first?”

“You should wear it first, then tell her when she comes back.”


That was my friend’s first time. Her Auntie/Tai Yee Ma/Best Friend/Menstrual Witch came to visit her early when she was just twelve. She wasn’t prepared and didn’t even know anything about that visit. She actually went through the first three days of her Auntie’s visit without wearing a pad! She thought she was dying. Haha…


I had a different experience. I remember it was a Tuesday (In fact, I can still remember the exact date but I’m not going to tell you! =P) when my ‘best friend’ came. Never had I expected 'her' to come so early as it was just my second week in a new school with a different atmosphere. Having studied at a co-ed school, most girls, in fact all would wear shorts or tights inside their skirt. Some said it was a trend, while the others thought of the safety issue. Luckily I had my shorts on, or else everyone in school would have realized that my school pinafore changed color, from light blue to red!

I didn’t feel anything on ‘her’ first visit. Really felt nothing. No pain at all. I only realized ‘her’ visit when I got home. I went to the toilet and saw it.“Dengan mata yang terbeliak besar” (Hehehe, I just love this Malay phrase), I was surprised! But, at the same time, I was pleased coz ‘she’ finally came. The next morning, I went to school feeling weird and excited. I don’t know why I felt that way but I remember asking a few girls in my class. “You have already???” I told SI that ‘she’ came and she congratulated me. Haha… That first visit will never be forgotten as it marked the day a girl officially changed into a ‘productive’ woman.


*When SI showed me that ‘thing’, it was brownish red coz the whole thing had sort of dried up. Guys, for your information, that ‘thing’ is red in color and not brown ok! LOL…



No comments: